Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

PLAN SCANS

Recently, my mother's friend lent me a scanner. It is actually a scanner and a printer.  The printer does not work anymore she says but I think it only needs a good printer ink.  But I guess I wouldn't have to worry about that.  I wouldn't have to worry about replacing the ink for it to work.  I only needed the scanner though.  There are some pictures and papers I needed scanned and my mother's friend also wanted me to scan her pictures for her.  I was more than happy to do so as I started to ask her what's wrong with the printer.  She told me it only needs a printer wire to connect from the printer to the computer.  I bought the wire which only costs fifty pesos.  As I started to make it work, I worried about the printer driver.  Good thing I was able to download the driver from the internet.


After an hour or so of setting the printer with the pc up, I was now able to scan pictures.  The scanner works by putting a photo or paper on the flatbed. And as it is covered, one just needs to control it by the pc.  Sometimes the paper doesn't get scanned forthright, you'd have to push the cover even more.  What I did was loading the cover with a weight so the cover gets pushed well downward.  The scanner would not scan without the weight.  It was like using a photocopy machine.  So I scanned the family pictures and some other important documents.  That's all there is to it.

My mother's friend told me I would not have to return the scanner right away.  She told me to just use it and have it kept just right here.  So I was thinking of other ways to use it. I was even thinking of scanning my own hand but that's impossible.  Then I found the 20" X 30" blueprint plans of our own house.  I started to think how wonderful it would be if I could scan them all.  But with it's size, it had to be scanned piece by piece. As the scanned pieces could be formed as a whole afterwards like a jigsaw puzzle using Photoshop.

It was a great help for me to have scanned the plans so I wouldn't have to keep opening the blueprint folder to look at the details of the house's plan.   Considering how useful it is to still have the plans at hand,  I was planning on transferring the drawings or convert the manual drawings to AutoCAD files.  So that would be a good project considering the amount of time I'm spending at home.  I think that I would be spending more time here than out elsewhere.  Who knows? After finishing the plans on 2D AutoCAD, I could continue with the 3D using 3dsMax.  But still I ended up scanning my own hands.

No comments: