Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

DRAWN NOT TO SCALE

It's almost Christmas.  On this side of the planet, we don't get to experience winter.  But December surely starts to lighten up everyone's spirits for it is Christmas season once again. Kids were now singing carols. All around the streets of the village, houses were now colorfully lit with electrical lights and decorations.  Almost everywhere, houses were adorned and some rebuilt or redesigned even for just the exterior.


But from where I am, the interior was in focus. In preparation for an alumni Christmas party, my mother had our kitchen rebuilt.  I really was not consulted for this.  But I know mother could use some help. She and father had two workers initially for the job.  I would have to suggest the materials and how the counters, sink and appliances be arranged.  And I guess they would really have the last say as to what is to be done.  For there is this limited budget for construction. The cabinet and sink had to be detached to be transferred and installed afterward.  A new exterior wall had to be built on one side along with the door and window. At this time, the tiles were set with tile trims.  I suggested 0.60m x 0.60m granite tiles for the main counter top and 0.20m x 0.20m maroon regular tiles for the kitchen counter and walls.  I have this little concern about the cabinet designs.  But surely that remains to be seen for the carpenter assured me not to worry.  And so nothing was drawn to scale on paper. Designs were made just for the simplest purpose of having a nice and homely kitchen.

No comments: