Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012

THE BRAIN DRAIN

This is about the floor drain problem, the lavatory problem, and the toilet fixture set we bought from the hardware bargain store.   It cost my mother around two thousand eight hundred pesos for that toilet set.  Considering the amount which is of course cheaper than the usual cost, the quality of which remains to be seen after installation.  The toilet set (Aviva) included a push button flush water closet with cover, a small ordinary lavatory, a small soap holder, and the paper holder.  It also included the corresponding p-trap and accessories.  


My parents commissioned walk-by workers named "Dodong Plumber" and "Jesus The Landscaper".   For whatever reason , my parents were somewhat up to task of putting them to work.  "Maybe because they already have agreed about the labor cost which is eight hundred pesos for the two of them.  A one day job where all they had to do was replace the old water closet and install a new lavatory.  They also had to redo the tile slope so water would go direct to the drain.  And so we bought Dodong to that hardware bargain store so he could check the product.  Seemed like he was all "yes", we then had him deliver the set to the house. 

That day came, and the two workers indeed came earlier than expected.  Before 8 AM, I started to direct them to our small toilet and bath.  We begun by setting up which comes first.  But it was clear that the first thing to do was remove the water closet.  They used the grinder for that purpose which was an additional expense for rent which they said was two hundred and fifty and the drill for fifty.  We had no choice but agree that time.  For as long as the job gets done properly, my mother was willing to finance.

I, however, was led to  supervise and watch their work.  I was expecting less supervision because I trusted them to be well-experienced on jobs like this, home maintenance and all.  And I trust that nothing would go wrong, they seem to look like they know what they're doing.

Afternoon came and they said it is done, so we paid them after my father inspected all of the fixtures.  The toilet seemed fine.  We'll just have to wait for a day or two for the tile grouts to dry.  Seemed okay after Day One.

Day Two, no one is allowed to use that toilet including my grandmother who was wanting to use it right away.  I checked the tiles closer and realized there was something wrong.  Part of the tiles near the shower drain was not set properly.  And I had to go back to the hardware store and replace the cracked toilet seat cover, factory/reject defect.  And tile joints need more tile grouts.  There's a problem. 

So Dodong came around nine in the morning.  Another expense, a "back-job".  We have to buy some more kilos of cement to reset the tiles.  Before lunch, he was done.  I checked it and again I was somewhat satisfied and so was father.  

But mother come dinner time, called me saying that toilet was flooding.  I saw that water has accumulated on corners of the toilet.  Again another problem.  The floor drain seem not to drain properly and it was detached from the floor.  I used the manual pump, and the water subsided into the drains.  We called Dodong again. Much to my dismay, said he was out of town.  WTF!

Day Three was the big one.  I discovered that the water from the sink leaks out the p-trap.  And one of the toilet seat plastic bolt broke.  Now that's two big zonkers.  And so I tried to fix it but realized now that Dodong was not able to install the lavatory on the wall properly.  And the faucet which was made in China broke.  WTF!

I was about to lose my patience, when I decided that I need to do this skin to skin combat myself.  So I'm off to the hardware store to buy a better brass p-trap, floor drain, and a sink faucet which was made in Italy.  Better quality, higher price.  That's the way it is.  The sticker said so.  After having all the necessary materials and tools, I rocked on off to that four tiled walls.  

I replaced the floor drain and removed the lavatory to replace the p-trap and faucet.  I took long to replace the floor drain because I had to chip the concrete more for better grip.  And the floor drain pipe was right of center.  And I still had to reset the two expansion bolts which was poorly embedded by Dodong.   I had to spoon some cement on the loose holes where the expansion bolts sat.  Had to leave the cement on that drain and bolts to dry overnight.

There and then, I started around four in the afternoon.  I was done preparing the lavatory and fixtures as well as the floor drain resetting before it reached dinner time.  Took a bath and had dinner.  Looking forward that I won't have to get another toilet fixture problem. 

No comments: