Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

VAULT OR TANK, IT'S SEPTIC

Once I was assigned by my boss to have it done.  He says that I’d have to get the existing septic vault demolished by the time he gets back.  It is part of the plan to do so.  We will be digging to construct a new septic vault to another location.  I’d have to supervise its demolition.  No worker around seem to be excited about it.  They steered clear away from me so I won’t call them for the predicament.   I called the foreman and told me he got better things to work with.  So I started to call two of the helpers as they sport their sad faces.  But still they were obliging.  But I need another man.  After awhile our notorious drunkard steelman came out of nowhere and volunteered to head the demolition. He’ll do it with one condition.  He said I’d have to get a bottle of rum for him to drink while doing the job. He says it’ll give him a sense of pride doing a filthy task.  I had no choice.  I had to buy it for him.   It’ll get the job done he says.  So I made an exception without the boss knowing about it.


The underground sedimentation tank or commonly known as the “septic vault”, I know every house here has one or two.  We have one too.  It is fair to say that it is one of the most important parts of the house.  The toilet, sometimes referred to as the “treasure of the house”, needs this vault for all of the waste that is produced by the household. Though some do hate to talk about it, septic vault or tank is the most important waste utility of our daily lives.

Let me describe the simple parts of a regular septic vault used out here.   It is basically composed of two chambers: The Leaching and the Digestive Chambers.  It is usually  built with reinforced concrete 2.50 meters long, 1.25 meters wide, and 1.50 meters deep.  But these days it is much longer and wider with the charcoal add-on to prevent unwanted odor.   It is built with manholes and their corresponding pipes or barrels as inlets and outlets.

As I surfed on through the net, I’ve seen different types of septic vaults in different forms, sizes and systems.  They also come in different shapes: rectangular, square or circular.  It clearly shows how designers especially the plumbers get to innovate from the regular vault.  I could say now that the septic vault design here is obsolete. So next time you roam around your house and your vicinity be sure to check out your ever humble septic vault. You might just need to redesign it or just have it cleaned or siphoned.   Just don’t fall on to the manhole when it’s open or s*#t!

No comments: